This course is designed to help students prepare for a career in early childhood education and/or for parenting. Students will gain an understanding of how a child develops and will use this knowledge to develop practical techniques to guide children through daily experiences in a safe and educational way. This course is also a prerequisite for being a Teacher's Assistant (TA) at the elementary school (must be taken before or concurrently with TA).
Areas that will be addressed as part of this course:
- Understanding child development principles, theories, and stages
- Creating learning experiences for children
- Creating a safe and healthful environment for children
- Guiding children with special needs
- Preparing nutritional meals, snacks, and recipes
- Nurturing the family unit